Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
anxiety in teens
An_248609 posted:
My 15 year old girl is having anxiety daily, doesn't sleep and dwells on things she can't control. Her grandfather passed away 4 weeks ago; her grandmother is not a good person likes to play mind games everyone and has been doing so more since he passed away; her father is not in the picture but calls her at times but then dwells on his personal issues, problems and what a bad life he has instead of asking how she is doing and his side of the family doesn't call for her or have contact with her but does have contact with her two 1/2 sisters. (this has been going on for years) Pretty much I (her mom) am her only family. She is depressed by this and doesn't understand why they do these things to her or ignore her etc. and I can't seem to get through to her that all of this has nothing to do with her personally and she has no control over others. She doesn't sleep, she gets very moody easily, she has been failing in school lately and I am not sure what to do or how to get through to her. When she does sleep she feels that things are trying to get her?? She had a boyfriend for a year which they broke up and he is dating someone else and she sees this daily in school and crys. I spoke to her about going to talk to someone but she is refusing to go. She says she does not feel like hurting herself, but continuously tells me she hates life and crys. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I think you have the right idea; she needs to see a professional who has expertise in treating children. The main way to accomplish this may be for the two of you to go so she won't feel that she's being seen as a patient. She needs the support and I agree that the situation sounds like one that can be very depressing for anyone, but especially for a teen girl.

Please consider this option.

LovzULotz replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I agree. My niece suffered from severe anxiety and depression, when her father left. He not only left my sister, he left his girls as well. They were living with my mother, and she passed a few months later. Her world spun out of control, she was eight and having severe panic attacks in school. With help of a child therapist, and a lot of support, she is doing much better. The one thing that we keep reiterating is that we cannot control what people say or do, the only thing we can control is the way we react to it. One important thing She has learned that its perfectly ok to "Fall Apart" to have bad days, to cry, get angry, and feel sad, the important thing is to know that she can, and does get back up, stronger

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.