Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Possibly anxiety
An_241258 posted:
I think I suffer some anxiety, mainly social anxiety.

Ive always been shy and I find some days/weeks I can feel more confident where other times I just want to hide, and have trouble making conversation or feeling like talking to people.

Like today for example I have the day off work, and made an appointment for something on my car, and now dont want to face people so will avoid going.

I also was studying (around working) and had a bad experience during a class and left during the lunch break. I ended up seeing a psychologist for 3 sessions who helped build my confidence up and we mainly chatted. But then she said about coming back if i needed it and I felt like i was just wasting her time and nothing is wrong. I was fine for a few weeks and now struggling again.
I struggle with wanting to go to work, feeling motivated. I do my work and Ive worked my way into a good position but then i start to doubt my ability to be able to do it, and thoughts keep popping in my mind about how i go the position and that I'm not any good at it.

I even struggle sometimes moving from my desk at work, like if i know I need to go to the other side of the office to the filing room, i sometimes avoid it for a few days (maybe because i'll run into someone or embarrass myself some way?) and then eventually feel a more confident moment to go and do the filing.

So far, its not really effecting work but i am scared if i changed jobs I will struggle.

Also i'm looking really forward to having a baby. We are newly married so its not on the cards yet, but i want that time at home so i dont feel so anxious all the time with work. But then having time off for a baby scares me a lot with having to return to work afterwards.

I feel like the shyness/scared feeling stops me from doing a lot of things but i cant seem to find a way around it..

Is there any natural things you can take to help with feelings like this?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
The first thing I would recommend is that you have a complete physical exam to make sure there isn't anything that needs to be attended to.

Next, the psychologist was a good idea because she can help you rehearse situations that are problematic for you. Stick with her and learn how you can make a difference in your life.

Also, use our relaxation breathing video tutorial in our Tips column.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.