Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Does cognitive therapy work with DISORDERS?
echamplin posted:
You may have seen me post here and there on the WebMD Anxiety & Panic Community Forums. I've been battling with generalized anxiety disorder for 7 months now, and I'm still being thrown around on medication. My main daily symptoms include dizziness and irrational thoughts.

I was seeing a psychologist (we didn't get involved in the cognitive therapy), when I stopped going because it was getting too expensive. Would it be worth it to return to the psychologist to start cognitive therapy, if what I'm struggling with is both physical and mental symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder? I've only had 1 devastating panic/anxiety attack, which is what started this 7-month (and going) struggle of dizziness and irrational thoughts. I don't quite understand how cognitive therapy can help a disorder (compared to someone who can voluntarily choose whether to be anxious or not).

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I don't understand what you mean when you say you were seeing a psychologist but "we didn't get involved in the cognitive therapy." Do you perhaps mean you were seeing a psychiatrist? A psychologist who uses cognitive techniques would have begun immediately helping you with your symptoms.

I don't know that you have a clear diagnosis at this point and I don't know if you've had a medical exam to insure there's not something physical that needs attention. Some of your sx could be related to physical imbalances that need to be corrected. We often see this with thyroid problems or dietary deficiencies. I'm not an MD, but I think this needs to be done first.

echamplin replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Hi Dr. Farrell,

I apologize for not making myself clear. When I was seeing a psychologist, she and I were mainly only talking about my life issues and how to resolve them (as they pertain to anxiety), and never dove deep into any serious cognitive therapy. Because it was $100 a session, I decided to drop it, and my question is if you think it would be a good idea to continue paying and resume therapy (given my symptoms)?

Also, yes, I have seen other doctors to try to find out if the symptoms are related to anything physical/internal, and no far everything has come back normal (blood tests, audiology tests, etc).

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to echamplin's response:
Good that you did check out anything that might be of medical concern.

Re going back to the psychologist, I think two things might be helpful here: 1) discuss fee reduction if you really have difficulty paying this much, 2) ask for a structured treatment plan that will not only address your sx., but have timelines for achievement and re-evaluating the progress with any techniques used. Cognitive therapy doesn't delve into more than how to handle the symptoms, how to change your thinking about them and how to help yourself in the future. For that reason, it is usually time-limited and less expensive while offering more immediate relief.

WillT responded:
Hello dchamplin:

I've been round the shrink and psychologist cognitive/tapping/REMD therapies block about 18 dozen times over the last 21 years after surviving a ruptured brain aneurysm in 1991.

My worst bogeyman was, and still is (slightly - now well-controlled with benzodiazepines under supervision of a terrific shrink).

Not one psychologist was worth the time or effort (here in Canada we don't pay, so I didn't feel the $$ pressure as you do).

Whether "Yak yak yak,"(Talk therapy) or "tap, tap, tap,"(Tapping therapy) or "shut-your-eyes and picture this: Rapid Eye Movement Desensitization:(REMD): it was all feckless!

Sorry, professional psychologists out there - I'm just relating my real experience.

My salvation was getting to a top psychiatrist who has expertise in psychoactive medications. Relief! I've been on a daily dose of 3 X 1mg clonzepam for these last 7 years under my shrink, and I bless his name every minute of every day.

I lump Cognitive therapy in with the loopier Naturopaths and homeopathy "doctors," - it's all smoke and mirrors.

I wonder if the moderator will allow my reply to appear here? I hope so, for your sake.

Good luck,

Will T. Vancouver, B.C.

WillT replied to WillT's response:
contd...sorry, I left a dangling sentence in my Reply. Should have read "My bogeyman was and still is....&etc...anxiety and panic.

There, done!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.