Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
HELP
rae12rae12 posted:
I was recently diagnosed with a panic/anxiety disorder. It all started with a trip to the dentist and a career change. I went to the hospital five times thinking I was about to die of a heart attack before I was told there was NOTHING wrong with me. I have now been on LORAZEPAM (Adivan) for one month and am better controlling my attacks (mostly nightime) when I get them. Lately what's happening to me is SOMETIMES when eating I get the sensation I am about to choke onmy food. My throat muscles close and I cannot swallow the food in my mouth and after about a split 3 seconds I can. During those brief seconds I feel faint, panic and that I am about to die and then it all passes. I am afraid to eat and am eating jello and pudding. My doctor said it was not related and even sent me for thyroid disease test that turned out to be negative. No one can tell me if its just me and my anxiety or the meds I am on and I am scared I am going to choke and die.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Anxiety can not only make you feel jittery, it dries the mouth and that can lead to your feeling that you can't swallow safely.

Ever use relaxation breathing? We have a video tutorial in our Tips column. Watch it, use it and see what happens. When you're going to eat, use the technique, take a sip of water and east small amounts, slowly. If you need a few minutes between bites, take them. No need to rush.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.