Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
anxiety problem
wobrien posted:
I have been taking Clonazepam for about 8 years and when I went to see a therapist she told me it wasn't for long term use. I weened myself off the medication but I am having a problem with anxiety and it is making my life miserable.
Is there something I should taking because the natural drugs and exercise are not helping.

WillT responded:
Dear wobrien:

I have been taking clonazepam for anxiety for seven years under the care of a top psychiatrist. When I came to him seven years ago I came with a 12 mg per day dosage that my GP had me on. The shrink right away said "That's way too much, you need to take less." He explained that at that dosage I am profoundly addicted, so I would always want more and more of it. So he weaned me down to 3 X 1 mg daily, and that has been very effective for me. I still will experience the occasional minor "jab" of anxiety, and when I do my shrink says it's ok to take one extra mg. That fixes me up just fine.
I'm very comfortable and satisfied on this dosage, and my shrink says that this dosage is perfectly fine to take for my lifetime.
Are you possibly taking too much clonazepam?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
There are no natural products that are totally effective for anxiety that I know of and your therapist should know this.

Since you are in therapy, I think you and your therapist need to carefully review your treatment plan and how it is proceeding and what changes may need to be made. Meds are to be used for as long as needed and in the manner prescribed by a qualified mental health, licensed professional. You may need to discuss this with whoever originally prescribed your med.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.