Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Withdrawls from the effexor XR
An_248919 posted:
Effexor is a evil drug. I have been on Effexor XR for about 2 and ahalf years. Five days ago, the doctors instructed me to stop taking the Effexor because they thought I had something called serotonin syndrome. Come to find out I'm okay and I have felt like I have been slowly dieing for the past 5 days. Everytime I stand my blood pressure shoots up to around 154/108 and my heart rate beats 143 beats per minute(standing). I am profusley sweating and having body treamers and shakes. My vison is finally back to normal however, the first 2 days it was very spacing. I was able to drive for the first time today bacause I am not dizzy like I was but my brain is still very foggy. I continue to have very vivid dreams that keep me from resting well.I have been prescribed valium to help with these symptoms however they will not take them away and I dont know how long I will or can suffer like this. After going through withdrawls for these past five days I have decided to take 75 mg effexor XR and wing off from there simply because I can not keep feeling like this!! It was a relief to know that there are others out there who are and have been through the same thing I am going through and that this is what is wrong with me! Get well soon future posters!!!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
It is a difficult med to wean off, as many others have indicated here and it has to be done as slowly as your body needs. Everyone is different.

I hope it does get easier very soon.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.