Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Need Advice
gonzalezed posted:
Hello, I am concerned about the treatment I am receiving. I started taking anti anxiety/ depression medication at 18, I am now 21. I feel as if I should have never started. Almost as if it controls me instead of me being who I am. Throughout these years of psychotherapy I have learned other alternatives to coping with the attacks.For the most part the attacks have ceased, but one medication caused a side effect which led to another medication. Now I am frustrated and would like to get off all of these meds (4 in total). I was a Premed student, and purposely took courses in college to learn more about my conditions (ie; physiological basis of behavior). I understand that it is very difficult to ween off a drug, especially now that there may be a risk of a conditioned response to the drugs. Also, the doc should prescribe treatment bc he feels the pros outweight the cons, but I strongly feel in my current situation they do not. At the beginning of my treatment I understood it was necessary, since I did not know how to cope with the attacks, and they would run my life. Now I have evolved with my disorder so that I no longer fear it or the related situations. I have conditioned myself to coping with the seldom attacks in my own manor. I do not want to be so dependent on these drugs. Having a 1 year old daughter does increase stress, and that may be the reason he still has me on so many drugs. The stressful situations of parenthood might reawaken the attacks. Please advise with any input or advise.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm not clear on one thing; are you still in therapy? If you are, the question of whether or not you can be weaned off the meds needs to be discussed.

Four meds sounds like quite a few and, although I'm not an MD, I would think this needs to be re-evaluated in light of your changed circumstances. Yes, parenthood is stressful, but a psychologist can help there, too, so meds are not the total answer and can cause other problems, as you already know.

There needs to be a discussion with whoever is prescribing your meds, too, because it may be time for some changes.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.