Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How to deal with anxiety and panic attacks at work?
An_248954 posted:
I'm 20 years old, I have been working since i was 14 years, and I used to take medication for my anxiety attacks until I was 17. Just recently I have been noticing that whenever I work I get panicked, I feel dizzy, warm, cheat pain, and my legs feel weak that I can't move around properly. This started maybe 3 months ago, and now when I just go there on my spae time I feel this way too. I work as a cashier, a grocery store, so when it gets busy, it's insanely busy. When there are people all around me I cannot concentrate. I always feel scared and just want to get out of there, I don't know what other jobs are suitable for me, because I have had 5 jobs these past 5 years. And with the Christmas season coming I'm freaking out.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can understand and, if this the job you currently have, you probably need to keep it because of the economy. So, having said that, how about trying some self-help techniques right now? Take a look at our Tips column and view the relaxation breathing video tutorial. Use it right away and several times throughout the day whenever you just begin to feel a bit anxious.

Certainly, use it before you go to work and even while you are working when you get a few minutes. Next, also use positive self-talk, slow yourself down enough to concentrate on what you're doing and understand that you can do it.

As to your future jobs, you might want something where you interact with fewer people and have a fairly steady load of work to do. Often, career counseling can help find something that is a good fit for you and many community colleges offer this type of assessment.

Good Luck.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.