Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
PTSD, Anixety Disorder, OCD and massive intrusive thoughts
An_249048 posted:
I am on klonopin & zoloft, and I am going through EMDR therapy. I feel like I have lost complete control of my life. To explain, I have always lived by controling everything around me in order to survive. I had an event that made my whole life come out and forced me to deal with it. I have always been tired of having to do the things I do in order to get by day to day. I feel like they are so much a part of myself that every piece that gets lost, I am so afraid of what is going to be left. How do I keep moving forward when I don't know what will be left, or if I will even survive?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Since you indicated that you are currently in EMDR therapy, I'm wondering how this decision was made, whether or not it is helping and how the therapist who is employing it has responded to your concerns.

We, as psychologists, always try not to interfere in anyone's treatment and, with that thought in mind, I would encourage you to speak to your therapist.

BecomingRebecca replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I was referred to EMDR to deal with my PTSD. I can not talk about the things that I have been through, I am only able to write it out. The EMDR I really feel is making a difference. I no longer feel like what happened is all my fault. I am not comfortable talking to my therapist. She is younger than I am and I really do not want what is in my head in hers. I just don't want her hurt in any way. I know that I need to trust that she has her own coping skills but I just really can't bring myself to put my stress on her. I just want to know how to do what I need to do in order to move forward and not loose myself! Where do I go from here? I am starting to think it would be better to just stop where I am before I really loose it completely. Please help....

Lefty2121 replied to BecomingRebecca's response:
Your Therapist is there to help you not make matters worst and by you worrying what you say or do to the therapist is making your anxiety and stress rise much more than needs to be. Do you have friends that you can talk to or hang out with to take your mind off things. How about meditation I have never tried it persnoally but heard great things about it. Best of luck and I hope everything get better for you!

BecomingRebecca replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I was referred to EMDR to deal with my PTSD. I can not talk about the things that I have been through, I am only able to write it out. The EMDR I really feel is making a difference. I no longer feel like what happened is all my fault. I am not comfortable talking to my therapist. She is younger than I am and I really do not want what is in my head in hers. I just don't want her hurt in any way. I know that I need to trust that she has her own coping skills but I just really can't bring myself to put my stress on her. I just want to know how to do what I need to do in order to move forward and not loose myself! Where do I go from here? I am starting to think it would be better to just stop where I am before I really loose it completely. Please help....

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.