Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Helpless
An_249078 posted:
I am on medication, I am seeking therapy and I do meditation. I am a student, but I work and pay for everything and I have a ridiculous amount of stress in my life. I had shingles when I was 21. I am exhausted and see no hope of life getting any better. I think about dying constantly. Everyone always tells me the same thing "just stay positive". It's bull. Ive lost all confidence in myself and I dont want to do anything but sleep. Please give me some sort of information that could help me figure out how I could make my life better or change myself or something. I just don't want to go on like this any longer.

Take the Poll

How afraid of you are dying?
  • Not at all; I know where I'm going and I'm secure about it.
  • Not really, just don't know.
  • Somewhat; I wonder about it sometimes.
  • A lot; I don't really know what's going to happen.
  • Tons; it consumes me and I think about it often.
vote
View Poll Results

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can see that you are doing an awful lot and it has to be taking its toll in terms of your energy, changing your mood and draining your motivation.

Shingles would mean that you had chicken pox first? It usually, from my understanding, comes from prior exposure to chicken pox and stress is the thing that brings it out. So, I am assuming that all of this has been a greatly stressful experience, but you said you're a student. I don't know what you are studying, but does it not give you some enjoyment or help you set meaningful goals for the future?

Now let me say something that may find strange; do you exercise? It can play a key role in raising your mood and helping you to begin to see things in a different light. Doesn't have to be to the point of exhaustion or pay for a gym--just something that gets your muscles moving and can be walking in place, jumping rope or walking up and down stairs.

Set some simple goals for yourself and, if possible, see if you can meet with a counselor from your school for some work on mood and motivation. I suggest this because you state you are paying for everything yourself and this would be the easiest for you.

Now, I'd like you to begin using relaxation breathing throughout the day. You can find a video tutorial on it in our Tips column.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.