Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
22 YO Daughter diagnosed w/Anxiety, Bipolar, Psychosis
klewis121062 posted:
I am interested in knowing if there are any natural supplements/herbs that my daughter can take to reduce her anxiety. Her physician absolutely refuses to prescribe anxiety medications due to the fact that they can be addictive. My daughter also is a recovering addict. We discussed her taking something natural and her doctor assured us that she could and that it should not interfere with her respidol and visteral.
Can someone lead me in the right direction?
Thank you.
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm not an MD, but I know that your MD is making the right decision in not prescribing anything addictive for her anxiety.

Many people use street drugs to help with an existing anxiety disorder and, unfortunately, these drugs can lead to more anxiety when they are stopped. This, then, begins a vicious cycle which you and your daughter want to avoid.

I do not know of any supplements that can be used and I would think your MD should have referred her for treatment with an addictions specialist plus a referral to a cognitive psychologist. This isn't just a drug problem and should not be seen as such.

Please discuss this with your daughter and, if appropriate, the two of you can speak to her MD about this.
klewis121062 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thank you Dr. Farrell. I should have mentioned that it was her psychologist who would not prescribe the anxiety meds.
How do I locate an addictions specialist? I have never heard of that before. As for her MD, since she was just released from jail, she does not yet have a PCP. We are working on that, but without insurance, getting an appointment at a county clinic is a waiting game.
Thanks again.
Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to klewis121062's response:
Her psychologist cannot prescribe unless that person lives in a state where they have special prescribing privileges or they have an addition RN degree (nurse practitioner). Very few states (about 2 right now) permit prescribing by psychologists.

Medical practice now does have specialization in Addictions Medicine and you can do a search on this and contact your local medical society to see if you have one in your area. Yes, I know that local clinics are overloaded and underfunded. It is a problem that is becoming increasingly worse with the pull-back in funding.

Hope you do find the appropriate help for her.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.