Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
An_249163 posted:
I am a 21 year old female, and I have just recently figured out that I have some type of an anxiety disorder. I do not have health insurance, so I cannot seek out a doctor or therapist. I did go to my doctor about 4 months ago, and she had put me on Zoloft for anxiety. The Zoloft helped me only to a certain extent so I stopped taking it. I am not sure what type of anxiety I have. This is all new to me and quiet frankly I am a bit overwhelmed. I have no support from my family and do not know what steps to take. I have a hard time sleeping, and staying home by myself. I have this crazy fear that when I am at home somebody or something is going to come inside my house. I had a panic attack 2 months ago. I get very anxious when I know that I am going to be by myself. At times I avoid coming home and just drive around until I know somebody is home. I have to repeatedly check all the rooms in my home so I know nobody is inside. I have certain ticks that are now coming to my attention. I need help figuring out what I have so I can figure out what to do. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am in desperate need of help because this is taking a toll on me.
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Even though you don't have insurance, there may be services available to you in your community. Psychologists do often accept a certain number of pro bono (free) patients, community mental health centers can provide psychiatric services, if needed, and you can do some self-help.

One thing which may be causing the stress may be school or work or lack of either one. It builds up and begins to come out as fears in the form of anxiety. The thing to do is to address it right now.

How about self-help? Take a look at our Tips column and watch the relaxation breathing video tutorial. It may help and it's a start.
JodiKrause responded:
hello love, im 20 years old, also female, and ive had this disorder for about 4 years, my best advice for you is TAKE YOUR MEDICINE, it helps, it will just get worse if you dont trust me, try to exercise and eat better, learn to meditate, and practice mind control... its hard to do but helps. good luck and im sorry you have this
An_249048 responded:
I would suggest looking for a qualified person who preforms EMDR Therapy. I have been going through EMDR and have to say that it has really made a huge difference. I really feel if you find someone who is a qualified EMDR therapist it will make a huge difference.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.