Includes Expert Content
Anxiety over STD
carnell46 posted:
Hello all,

I am a 24 year old healthy straight male. I had unprotected sex in november and december of 2011. Was tested for stds beginning of January and it came back with positive antibodies for Hep C. I got a viral load test done a week later and took it to a internal medicine doctor who told me that there was no virus and I was one of the lucky ones who fought off the virus. My panic mode kicked in and i thought the tests were wrong or the doctor was wrong so i went and got checked again for HIV end of March 2012 and it was still negative. Even though everyone is telling me I am fine I can get it out of my head every time I feel a little ache or pain i think its hep c or HIV i drive myself crazy i think sometimes causing myself to find/feel problems in my body when there is nothing wrong with me. Anyway if anyone has any ideas on how to cope or help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading and your advice.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Fear is a very strong emotion and it can be used rather than becoming a victim to it. You've had a close call and, as your doc said, you are one of the lucky ones. Sex is not always without consequences and you know that very well.

Now, it is a matter of knowing that you can take precautions and that you can also do reasonable check-ups on your health. I'm sure your doc indicated that there are treatments for Hep C and you might consider getting that. Discuss it. A search here on WebMD will provide you with quite a bit of information on all forms f hepatitis.

What you can do is understand that you are safe right now and tell yourself this frequently and that, should there be any question, you have medical experts to whom you can turn for help.