Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
New treatment options for Agoraphobia?
An_249284 posted:
I was diagnosed with acute agoraphobia when I was 26 years old and underwent extensive CBT with an antidepressant adjunct regimen. Over a ten year period this allowed me to return to a productive and working lifestyle. However at age 52 the affliction returned gradually to the point of having to stop working and pretty much being isolated to my home once again. I am now 62 and can not find anyone in my geographical area (Maine) that is knowledgeable of the condition. I was originally diagnosed in New Jersey by my GP who in turn referred me to a research consortium from Austrailia doing research in the US.
I am having difficulty finding any resources that can help further with any this affliction.
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Often, it's usual for someone with panic and agoraphobia (and I assume it's the panic that causes your agoraphobia) to return for "touch-up" sessions of CBT. Nothing wrong with that and we usually tell patients that this could happen and it will be worked on if it does happen.

Your area of the country doesn't have many people working in specialized areas, I believe, as you said but the major hospitals must know of individuals who can help you. Contact the Maine Psychological Association, too, and ask them for referrals in or near your area. Every state has a psychological association or a medical society and either of them should be knowledgable regarding mental health professionals.

I hope you can find someone in your area so that you can begin to enjoy what life has to offer in your area.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 78 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.