Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Breathing but not alive
rambleson posted:
I'm 27 years old and this year has been one of the worst years to date of my life. I've suffered 2 panic attacks in one month, lost a really great job, a girlfriend in the middle of it and now my grades and lack of ambition is hanging on by a thread. Seeing through the haze is a task all its own, sometimes I can't even make out the details of my daily activities. This has caused stress on many of my personal relationships and now it's controlling my life.
I need some clarity back in my life.I need to regain myself. I feel as if I've lost my sense of ownership over my being and it's debilitating, because the simplest of chores is now not. I forget things minutes after being told what they were, I don't have focus of any kind, and whats worse is that I feel it's all caused by my ADHD. So I'm finding myself in a depression because of another mental disorder that I already have.
Can anyone please advise me on some tactics I can take to approach my sent of fear, and failure. These are the instruments that are controlling me right now and it's very despairing.

As I write this the headaches are all consuming.
Anyone ??

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Clearly, there are a number of things here that need attention and which relate one to the other.

As you said, you have a diagnosis of ADHD, so are you taking any medication for this? This disorder often brings with it one or two other problems such as anxiety and depression, so you need to be working with professionals who are experienced.

Regarding your grades, you can speak to a counselor at your school and explain your current situation and see what they can do for you. You might be able to get additional time to complete your requirements or some other accommodation. Remember, with a dx of ADHD, you are entitled to accommodation by the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) and the school MUST help you with this. They may also be able to provide appropriate counseling and referral for meds.

One step at a time. It is overwhelming when it's all lumped together, but when you approach it in a one-step-at-a-time manner, it begins to become better. You can do it. Just give yourself time and ask for help.

Also, give yourself a little self-help with relaxation breathing. We have a video tutorial for this in our Tips column. Do it several times a day.

Hope things do improve very soon.

rambleson replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
thanks for the advice. I think I'll start on those breathing techniques, as for getting professional help I do have an appointment with a psychiatrist soon to start treatment. I haven't been on medication in a year or more so hopefully by body doesn't take to long to adapt to the treatment.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.