Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety
Vandela12 posted:
Hi,

I am 19 and just started have panic attack about a month ago now. They are absoluetly horrible. I was on Zoloft and Hydroxine and got off the Zoloft. I hated it. I am still on the Hydroxine and now my doc gave me the Pristiq. Very nervous too take this one. I havent heard a lot about it being good for anxiety rather than the good reviews for it when its taken for depression. I hate taking medicine without knowing how im going to feel on it. Im a big worry wart and all freak myself out thinking im going to hallucinate. Really would just love to hear some good reviews on this med. Im trying very hard to stay positive but starting to worry if ill ever get control of my anxiety.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
The med you've been given is a reformulated Effexor with some chemical changes. I'm not an MD and I'm not sure the reason for your med change or even whether or not you need meds. If you just started having panic attacks, I would wonder what was the reason to put you on med.

Panic, especially if you just got it, doesn't always require meds because it may be coming from things that can best be handled by working with a cognitive psychologist, getting some exercise (now seen as a part of psychiatric tx), proper diet, enough sleep and changes in the way you approach things. Meds can be useful, if truly needed, but they cannot replace the other pieces of a treatment plan.

Consider a referral to a licensed, experienced cognitive psychologist who works with persons with anxiety problems.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.