Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Effexor withdrawal - now back on.
Mabbity posted:
Hello
I am on 37.5 mg of Effexor XR. I started weaning off a few weeks ago. One every other night, then two days off one day on for a little under a week. I have just been offered a new job that needs me to work nights and I have to work the same days at my current job till I can quit in Feb, so decided for the sake of my sanity to go back on Effexor.
Problem is, I started taking the pills again 2 days ago full time (one a day) and I am having panic attacks and crying all the time. I feel like my world is crumbling. I am too upset to eat - I am dreading this new job that I was really looking forward to before.
Are my symptoms normal? Will it go away in a few days of continuing back on this meds? Any insights/help would be great.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm not an MD, but it sounds like you went back on too much med after having tapered off. Check with your doc, but I think this is a side effect that will taper off.

What you are feeling about being concerned about the new job is related to the med, not what you'd normally feel about this new opportunity. Remember that some meds can cause your thinking to change in a negative way and that may be what's happening here. Stick to thinking positively and let yourself ride through this; things will improve.

Lizardoli12 responded:
Yes going off Effexor cold turkey is terribble! I am on 75 mg am and 75 mg pm. I went off of it by accident one weekend when I realizid I was out . I coul not reach any of my 7 doctors for a refill, so I went into sweat mode literallty. Your symptoms sound like anxiety to me, you have to figure out a way to get rid of some of that energy before you start a new job! Keep taking it like you are, vut see if you can get in to see the doctor soon to tell them what is up!

fluffyboo responded:
don't do it!! don't go back on those pills,

i had the same problem 2 weeks ago,

i went to the doctor because i was having withdrawal problems, when i was at my last 37.5 mg, ( i also was crying and being angry for no reason) the doctor said it was withdrawal and i should take 1 pill of 37.5 mg every other day again, i was taking 1 every 4th day...

i did so for 2 days, and i felt even worse, so i just stopped it altogheter sinds i was tapering since June, now i'm effexor free for 16 days, the first week i felt great, the second week i had mild anxiety..hyperventilation, and this tired feeling, i was scared , and still am, but i know that the brain must addapt to being pill-free...so hold on!! today i feel better than yesterday, and i know that every day will be better, remember, everybody has good and bad days, also people who don't take antidepressant, and never did....be strong

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

The five most unexpected causes: Coffee, Water, Sleep, Exercise, Diet
I have this as well. I have noticed that these symptoms are at there worst when I have had sleep deprivation, too much coffee, have not ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.