Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Panic, Anxiety with OCD
tkellyvt1 posted:
I've delt with panic and anxiety since I was 20. I've had setbacks before, always during times of high stress. I'm at another point in my life where the panic has set in big time. My panic/anxiety issues are related to my OCD. When my OCD attacks to something it just plays this continuous loop in my head of frightening terrifying thoughts. What this does is keeps me in a permanent state of fear and terror, constant state of arousal. I've been having trouble sometimes dealing with it in my home let alone venturing outside my home. I'm experiencing all the mental symptons of panic disorder, fear of impending doom, I'm going crazy, feelings of unreality. Occasionally I get some relief. Needless to say I've had to take a break from work. I have a strong fear of medication and have been unable to take the klonopin my doctor prescribed, even thought I more than anything want to take something that will take the edge off and bring me some peace so I can return to normal function. Just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with anxiety. The combination of OCD and panic just turbo charges everything.

atucker responded:
Dear Friend:

You are not alone in this matter. I am so sorry that you have to deal with the dread of experiencing such a dis-ease of the mind. However, my challenge to you is to find some beauty in your anxiety/OCD disorder-I know that this could be hard though!!!

I have been dealing with my anxiety/OCD for quite a while. I have experienced many of the same symptoms that you have, and believe me it is a pain-in-the-neck. However, my source of strength comes from trying to understand what is going on with me- didn't know for a long time at first. I believe that there is power in knowledge, so my advice to you is to find out everything that you can about anxiety/OCD. Believe me, this will bring you the peace that you are so desperately seeking. I would suggest that you take a herbal supplement like St. John's Wort, and most importantly, PRAY!!!! Let your source of strength also be in knowing that we are all in this together!!!!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You indicated that stress brings this on so it would seem that you might consider working with a psychologist re stress management. The med you've had prescribed should be taken according to the schedule given to you. Sometimes, in order to get things under control, you may need a bit of medication and then, once you can begin to help yourself, you may not need the med any longer.

Stress can bring on panic and that can lead to agoraphobia and the first thing that anyone needs to do is to learn to stop the stress in its tracks before it takes over. It's a process that requires work, a definite plan, the ability to recognize what stresses you and what works best for you.

First step is to find an experienced psychologist who specializes in stress management/panic disorder, have an evaluation and then work on a treatment plan.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.