Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
I feel as if my life is over
Amanda615 posted:
About 2 months ago I had what I believe to be my first anxiety attack. I was lying in bed and for no apparent reason this overwhelming nervousness came over me, I was so shocked and scared by it that I panicked and it only got worse. I barely slept that night and when I woke up for work the next morning the feeling was still there. I could barely concentrate driving to work, I was scared and I felt like I was going to lose it. Luckily when I got to work a co-worker could tell something was wrong with me and I ended up breaking down right there in front of her, my heart was beating a million miles a minute and I just could not shake this feeling. My head felt cloudy and I could not focus at all, it was terrifying. She was finally able to calm me down enough for me to function and get threw the day, but in the back of my head it was still there, it was like I was just waiting for it to come back again. Since then I have had several of these attacks and when they are happening I feel misery and I almost would rather be dead then to spend hours trying to talk myself out of whatever this is, I feel not normal and that my life will never be the same. I dont know what to do, I am so scared to see a doctor because I feel like I cant be helped and if I go and whatever they do for me does not work then it will be the end for me, I just want to be normal again and my mind has taken over and I have no control what so ever. I actually feel crazy as I am typing this, not knowing how ppl will react to this, I want help but I am terriefied to tell anyone about these crazy unrealist thoughts I am having.

An_249242 responded:
Hello Amanda615:

I have very surprising news for you, you are already on the road to your healing journey. Just by joining this community, and sharing your personal story you have taken a step in the right direction.

I know that this is difficult to believe, but you are not alone. Myelf, and many others know and understand what you are going through. Try as hard as you possibly can not to be afraid of the attacks/thoughts. My suggestions to you are: Redirect your thinking as much as possible, write down how you may be feeling at a particular time-this has a very calming effect. Also, I would suggest doing some creative activities when you can-draw, color, paint, etc. My point is, try to stay as focused as much as possible.

There is help for you, so don't be afraid to receive it- family, friends, a doctor! There is also always hope, so please don't lose sight of that. I understand exactly what you are going through, and guess what? I don't think that you are crazy. You have a rewarding life in front of you, this is just a little bump in the road, but I am confident that you will be just fine!!!!!!

Amanda615 replied to An_249242's response:
You dont know how good it is to hear that, you have no clue how much it helps just to see that someone has replied to my comment, it took alot for me to even write that, for I am a very private person and do not like to put myself out there like that. I am desperate, I have made myself an appointment with my doctor and am hoping that I can overcome this. Thanks again!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Panic can come out of the blue, as they say, but there may be a physical basis to it and, for that reason, I always advise having a medical check-up. Things like not enough sleep, inadequate diet, stress (especially prolonged stress), not enough exercise and enjoyable activities all add up to pushing you into panic.

With that said, know that you are not alone, there are many things that can be done and you can improve your life. The thing to do, however, is to get to see your doc and then make some decisions regarding what to do next.

I wouldn't think that you would need medication, but rather some lifestyle changes. My feeling is that you take the most conservative steps first and then see how that works.

Panic is not unusual and many people experience it at one time or another in their lives. The thing to do is know it's something that can be handled by self-help, meds (if needed in the least amount) and, possibly, cognitive therapy. The therapy part helps you to learn things you can do for yourself so that you can cut the panic off before it takes over.

In the meantime, why not begin to take advantage of relaxation breathing? We have a video tutorial in our Tips column and this is something you can learn in two minutes, do it whenever you feel you might become anxious and you can do it anywhere. Give it a try.

echamplin responded:
Hello,

My story sounds remarkably similar to yours, and I'd like to give you my empathy. I've been going through daily lightheaded-ness, irrational thoughts, and trouble sleeping every day for the past 8 months. Some days are worse than others, but you need to KEEP HANGING IN THERE because it WILL eventually get better. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next week, but it will come. Then, once you've overcome your problem, you will be as strong as titanium and will be able to help other people by saying, "I've been there." You're a fighter. Keep on keeping on.

- Eric

Vandela12 responded:
This sounds just like what happened to me about a month and a half ago. I had and still have those feelings but not as worse. DO NOT be scared to see a doctor, I went to the hospital right away. The feeling is terrifying and honestly the worst thing i've ever experienced. I am relieved to hear im not the only one who experience those feelings but im also very sorry you have to go threw with them. All last month I would spend all day thinking and worrying about it, until I started taking action. Watch your diet, exercise (walks help a lot, they set of the signal to your brain that makes you feel good about what your doing) and cut out any smoking ( i cut down to smoking about 5 cigs a day at the max) Caffiene & smoking are very high stimulants and can set you back into a panic attack. About two weeks after doing this I finally started seeing results, such as not thinking about panic attacks every second and kind of feelings back to normal. Im actually going to be going to see a therapist this afternoon. Its recommened with the panic attacks. Don't feel alone, I know I did. I take hydroxyine for my anxiety and it gets me through the day. I only get side effects like dry mouth and a little tired. I'm very senstive to medicine. Do your research also, thats exactly what I did. Knowing the most about this helps. I wish you look and hope you can find peace!

Vandela12 replied to Vandela12's response:
luck*** & look up deep relaxtion breathing. I do it every morning and it helps. Theres a work book out there called The Anxiety & Phobia work book. That book is wonderful.

BringInGod replied to An_249242's response:
Awesome advice!

Amanda615 replied to echamplin's response:
Thanks so much, it helps just to know that there are other people out there going threw this, I am taking it one day at a time and trying to be positive, thanks again, it means alot for total strangers to try n help out!

Amanda615 replied to Vandela12's response:
Thanks, I am getting better, I went and saw my doctor and have been on meds for 5 days now, I feel a little better everyday, but I really think that I have gotten a lot of my motivation from reading others responses to this, it helps more than I can express to know that im not a crazy person who will never get better, I thank you for responding!

Lefty2121 replied to Amanda615's response:
Glad to hear you are doing better! Are you writing a journal to help pin point what situational stressors might be causing this? Take care and have a Happy New Year!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.