Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Looking for Suggestions!
An_249440 posted:
I suffer from anxiety. After tuning into me trying to search what was the root of my problem, I feel that a lot of it has to do with my stomach making noises during quiet situations. Kinda funny! I'm not the type to really care much about what people think of me (I am very confident person), but this past year it has been so hard. I purposely avoid food or coffee in the morning or before meetings because I am afraid that my stomach will hurt and make noise (feeling like I have to go) and therefore it would trigger the anxiety attack and I would not be able to get out of the situation without embarrassing myself. I thought I kinda had that under control. But I guess I taught myself that my anxiety comes from my stomach and I feel like without any reason I already tell myself that my stomach will hurt and anxiety will happen. I wouldn't pay much mind to it, but I have this insane job offering which I would have to go through training for 3 weeks in another state and I am already creating anxiety. I am not planning on turning down this offer, I told myself that I have no choice and I will do it. I guess what I am looking for is some suggestions on how to control it if it does arise at the training. Any advice? By the way, I don't believe in meds! Its all in the mind. All I have to do is to stop minding it and it wont matter! Its just that it is easier to say than to do. lol .. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I understand and it's not unusual for someone's stomach to begin making unwanted sounds while under stress, such as at a quiet meeting. Many people try to avoid eating or drinking carbonated beverages before these meetings and to just drink some water.

I agree that you can help yourself and there are a few things you can begin to do now to prepare for the training. First, watch our relaxation video tutorial in our Tips column. You'll learn to use this simple technique wherever you are, whenever you need it and it will help to calm you down. Can be just what you need.

Second, maintain a positive attitude and concentrate on the good things about this training and this job. Do some positive self-talk where you think of things you would tell yourself to maintain this attitude. You are the coach here and you can prepare yourself to have that mindset that will be to your benefit.

Good Luck with the training and the job.

Melcoff responded:
Wow I too suffer from anxiety relating to my stomach. I will say I don't take anxiety medicine but I do see a GI doctor which he prescribes me Prevacid ( you can now buy over the counter) and It takes a lot of my panic attacks away as a matter of fact when I take care of my stomach I am anxiety free... Make the lifestyle change and eat right and talk to your doctor about your stomach issues you would be surprised how it will change your life mentally and physically...

Melissa

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.