Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Today's tragedy in Connecticut
Patricia Farrell, PhD posted:
Once again we have been made aware of how much we need to let all those we love know that we love them. Twenty children went to school today and they won't be coming home tonight because of a very disturbed young man with guns.

I know how upsetting this can be for all of us, not just board members, but the professionals as well and the first responders in Connecticut. It is almost too much to imagine, but perhaps some good can come of it.

As I've always said, good from bad and I think that is true here, too. From the reports that are coming out, the shooter was a young man with serious mental health problems. I don't know if the area where he lived had adequate services, but I do know that this latest shooting points up the need for mental health services for everyone who needs them.

The young man in Colorado also has a serious mental health disorder and now has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. So, if this event and the one today do anything good, let it be to highlight that mental health has to be a priority.

Guns do damage and, in the hands of anyone with an untreated severe disorder of thinking, they are deadly. Gun control will be an issue in the coming days and I agree we need this discussion, but we also need to have a greater regard for the need of those in distress.

If you have children who have seen the TV reports on this tragedy and they are upset, which many, if not all of them will be, reassure them that you love them and will protect them. Let them tell you what may be upsetting them and then offer reassurance, but hold back on the details. They really don't need to know all of it. It may be difficult enough as it is.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.