Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Scared to leave job
An_249505 posted:
Hello all,

I have been working for five years with the same company. There is no room for growth. I want to move on and start my own business and work part time for an organization. However, I am scared to leave my job. The main reason is that the owners are liars. They never acknowledge good done by staff and are always threatening with dismissal despite service done beyond the call of duty. I fear that when I leave and will need recommendation they will say terrible things about me rather than give the support that I need.

I know it sounds irrational and I am probably suffering from a panic attack due to the experiences of others which I have observed while working here. But it really is a serious concern for me. How can I deal with my feelings and move on. I want to resign by next year February or March. Please help me gather the courage or rationality to do so without fear.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm a psychologist and not an employment attorney, but I do know that giving someone a bad "recommendation" is not in the best interest of any company because it can result in legal action. For that reason, companies generally just indicate the duties of the person while they were employed there and the date of hire and date they left.

I would think that it would be a good idea to get some advice from someone who has been in the business you are thinking of starting. In many communities there are retired executives' groups who do volunteer work with new business owners and can also advise anyone who wants to start a business. Probably the local Better Business Bureau might be able to provide the names of this type of group.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.