Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
FEAR OF HAVING BLOOD DRAWN IS HOLDING ME BACK!
An_249533 posted:
I KNOW COMING FROM A 35 YR OLD MAN THIS SEEMS TERRIBLY CHILDISH BUT THIS HAS HAUNTED ME FOR MY WHOLE LIFE I REMEMBER AS A CHILD I THINK AROUND 8 MY MOM AND GRANDMOTHER WANTING TO JUST PRICK MY FINGER AND ME PASSING OUT FROM IT..NOW I CAN PRICK MY OWN FINGER AND STUFF BUT WHEN I GO INTO A ROOM AND THE NURSE COMES AT ME WITH A TOURNAQUET AND THE NEEDLE I GO OUT EVERY TIME...SINCE THIS STARTED I HAVE NEEDED TO GO TO THE DR NUMBEROUS TIMES AND WILL NOT GO BECAUSE OF THE EMBARRASMENT IT HAS CAUSED ME..I WENT FOR A BLOOD SCREENING ONCE PASSED OUT THE WOMAN THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A SEIZURE AND CALLED THE EMTS..THE AMBULANCE RIDE COST ME HUNDREDS JUST FROM THE STUPID PHOBIA I HAVE..I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO...I KNOW I WILL EVENTUALLY GET SICK ENOUGH TO HAVE TO GO AGAIN BUT THEN ILL JUST PASS OUT AND I NEED HELP...IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING I CAN DO PLEASE TELL ME...OR AM I THE ONLY ONE THIS PATHETIC OUT THEIR...IVE GOTTEN TATTOS AND EVERYTHING BUT I CANT LET TEM DRAW BLOOD..WHAT A WOOSE I AM!!!!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
This type of reaction isn't all that rare and many people have what is called a Blood-Needle Phobia where they can't get medical testing done because of it.

Usually, you would need to work with a behavioral psychologist who will help you to learn to overcome this. Yes, you can do it and it will not take that long. Ask in your community for licensed psychologists who work with persons with this type of phobia. If you can't find one, call the state psychologist's association for names in your area. Usually, the state association will have a website on the internet.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.