Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Effexor XR 75 mg Cold turkey! Doctors Orders?!
An_249619 posted:
My 16 year old Autistic daughter was put on Effexor XR 75 mg & Trazodone 50 mg after a suicide attempt in October. She has shown excellent improvement since her release from the hospital. However, the hospital waited an entire month before forwarding the necessary information to her new psychiatrist. (We moved to another county within the same state 3 weeks prior to her hospitalization and so we had to find new medical providers.) My daughter takes her last doses tomorrow 12/29/2012. Her new psychiatrist refuses to fill her Rx until she has been seen. Which happens to be 10 days after she takes her last dose.When this appointment was made I was assured my daughters meds would be filled. It was the earliest time they could get me in. I cant get anyone to fill this Rx even for the 10 day lapse between her last dose and the first appointment with the new doctor. I explained to the doctors nurse exactly what had happened with the hospital not forwarding my daughters medical information and she said it was not her problem. Soooo should I take her to the hopsital (NOT the one I mentioned earlier) at the first sign of withdrawal? Or the first full day of no meds? The nurse would not give me any advice on what to do!! I'am not equipped or skilled to deal with a suicidal daughter whos anti-suicide/depression meds are yanked out from under her. Unfortunately I have to learn and quick!!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I don't think they fully appreciate the seriousness of your current situation and they are depending on the local ER to help you. This, in my mind, is not acceptable and something should have been done to coordinate your daughter's care from the time she was released to the beginning of her first appt. with the new doc. She should have been given adequate meds to hold her over or a prescription for a refill from the hospital.

I'm not an MD, but I do know that this has to be a very upsetting situation for you and your daughter. You may need to call the prior hospital and get someone to provide meds to cover her until she sees her new doc.

For the nurse at the new office to indicate it's not her problem is totally unacceptable and I would wonder how that office is run if that's the way they talk to patients in crisis--which I believe you may be at this moment.

You may have to take her to a local ER, if all else fails, and try to get them to provide the meds to cover her. I'm sorry that I can't offer more guidance, but I hope this is helpful.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Merry Christmas!
Hello All: Just wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!!! 2013, is our year of Healing. Lets claim it!!! More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.