Includes Expert Content
Anxiety
An_249630 posted:
Hi Everyone.
Not sure were to start so let me see. Lets go back 3 yrs ago. Life was going great, until wife and I could not have any kids. After spending tons of money we managed to have our first child 2 yrs ago. What a blessing.

During that time, between not being able to have child, work and loss of income, I started to get very dizzy all the time, several tests later, dr said I have anxiety. Started Zoloft, and life has been good.

Fast forward to the last year, I have lost 4 relatives that I was close to along to my 15 yr old cat. About 6 months ago I realized I was in a daze all this time. Feel like I am missing my child grow up, even though I spend every free min I have with my child. Also thinking back, only time I was upset about death was when my cat died. Thinking then what the hell wrong with me I talked with my dr that I wanted to stop taking Zoloft and have been free of it for 3 months.

The first 2 months were really bad, but I feel really good now, at least I thought. I am seem to cry over stuff now, my family member death, pictures of my cat or special dates in my life and I cannot seem to get it under control.

Wife says I need to man up and get it under control stop acting like a girl. I feel like it not getting any better and maybe it just takes time from not being on the medication. Also I have been eating out of control. Gained about 40 lbs in the last 3 months. My dr is no longer working, on leave not sure when he will be back. So I am unsure what to do. If I should just give it more time and let my body/mind reset itself still or am I really a mess?

Thanks for any feedback and allowing me to share.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Withdrawing from a number of medications takes more than a few months sometimes. The med may be stores in the body fat and bones and slowly leaves and while that is happening it is possible that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

This is a washout period for you and it's rough on you and anyone around you and that's what usually happens. Now is the time to begin to set things back to a more normal life.

Has anyone suggested mild/moderate exercise to you? It has now been shown by research that it's not just weight control, but emotional and immune system control that is bolstered by exercise. The muscles seem to work almost like glands and help the body to release chemicals that raise mood, fight stress and anxiety and help us stay physically healthy.

Be sure to get enough sleep, stay on a healthy diet (carbohydrates are the body's way of fighting depression and that's no good), get involved in an activity that you enjoy such as a hobby or sports activity. All of this can help.

I hope things improve very soon.