Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Need help determining if i have an anxiety disorder.
An_249637 posted:
hello im 26 years old and i worry all the time and i have a wife and son they are my hole life, i seem on edge all the time, was on xanax but my wife wants me too stop takeing and i have but that is the only thing that helps , what should i do?????

larry24gsu responded:
I started having panic attacks when I was 30 years old. I am now 62 and the condition has never left. Fortunately I had a very good doctor, an internist, who diagnosed and strarted treating me. I take a beta blcoker and clonazepam which contols the condition but does not cure it. My life was hell the first couple of years learning to deal with it, but good medical care and the right medicines can work wonders. I recommend you talk to your doctor immediately. Don't be embarrassed. It is not a :mental illness", but a brain chemistry problem than can be controlled. Good luck.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Anxiety, when it is constant and seems uncontrollable, may require some meds and the one you were taking can be useful when taken as prescribed. Any med has a possibility of a physical "addiction" even some meds taken for medical disorders. But I can understand your wife's concerns.

However, there needs to be a few things done. I would suggest you talk to your prescriber about your medication and discuss how you might benefit from this med. Next, look at the stress in your life and see how lifestyle changes might be helpful. Third, begin to exercise (if your doc agrees) moderately (psychiatric treatment now recommends exercise) and try relaxation breathing (we have a video tutorial in our Tips column), plus be sure to get enough sleep. Inadequate sleep can bring on both anxiety and depression.

I hope things improve very shortly.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.