Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety and memory problems
rohvannyn posted:
Frequently when I feel anxious it is as if my memory is made of swiss cheese. I don't remember things that were very clearly stated by others and understood by me just a few hours ago, or sometimes I remember things but don't take them into account in my actions. How common are memory problems like this? Any strategies or solutions that have helped others? I suspect it's mainly the additional work that my brain is doing chasing its own tail, so the solution to me would be to fix the anxiety and the memory problems would go away, but I wanted another persepctive.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Memory under stressful conditions can be elusive and that's when it's time, as you said, to decrease the stress/anxiety and begin using some things that help you with your memory.

One, let's deal with the anxiety. First, repeating things to yourself can help and reassuring yourself that you can do this will also help (positive self-talk).

Two, view our relaxation video tutorial in our Tips column, use it several times a day and, if you have 4 minutes, go to my Youtube channel and watch the relaxation video of a beach scene I have there. You will also find it on my website (drfarrell.net) on the Videos page. But learn that breathing, use it and use it often.

Third, keep a small note book and pen with you at all times and keep notes; reminders, due dates, details, etc. Memory isn't something you need to totally depend on; use tools.

Fourth, begin to get some mild/moderate exercise and do some things you really enjoy; sports, hobbies, etc. It's a part of balancing your life and that's what you need--balance.

Okay, try it and let us know how you do.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.