Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
I need help.. Fast.
brittanydawnn posted:
I'm not sure what to do? I'm in highschool and I would really like to finish, but I can't bring myself to do it. My anxiety is taking over my life. I want to be able to graduate with my class, but as of right now I can't go to school, just thinking about it gives me panic attacks, and when I go I have panic attacks there. My panic attacks get so bad that I get sick or vomit from it, and feel like I'm having a shaking heart attack. I'm not able to focus or concentrate on anything, and all I want to do it get out and leave. I am taking medicine for it, but it isn't helping. I'm on the verge of failing because I miss so many days due to it. I don't like leaving my house, or my mother or grandmother. I don't feel comfortable at school and am always worried. If I'm with my parents I am okay. Right now my only choice is to be home schooled because there is nothing else they can do for me? Do you have any suggestions?
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
School can provide special consideration for you if your doc provides the necessary note to indicate you have an anxiety disorder that requires this accommodation. The counseling office can help with this and you and your mom can talk to your doc and the school so that you can have a plan that will enable you to graduate.

Home schooling is an option and teachers can provide assignments plus special measures for accomplishing class requirements. Talk to your mom about this and also about getting some cognitive therapy since the meds just aren't enough for you.

Hope everything works out. Also, try watching our relaxation breathing video (in our Tips column) and use it every day, maybe several times a day.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 78 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.