Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Coping with anxiety
Tanarya posted:
So, I've been suffering from panic disorder and anxiety disorder for about a year now. I'm 19 years old and go to college. It was really hard at first, all those thought of dying and going crazy really got the best of me. I used to smoke and drink often, but since I had my first and worst panic attack, I quit. For the last 3 months I've been feeling really good and happy like it was all gone and so I relaxed a bit and started drinking again. It felt good to go out again with friends and be a normal 19-year-old. You cannot even imagine how amazing it was to be myself again, no worrying no fear of an anxiety attack. So, the thing is I got too relaxed and got drunk. 3 days in a row. And ofcourse, the anxiety and slight panic kicked in again. I feel like crap. I'm really having a hard time coping with this. I'm afraid I'm going crazy and due to some recent thoughts of suicide, I'm worried I might fall in depression. I'm on meds, one a day, a mild antidepressant. It helps, no need for sedatives which I used to take when I couldn't sleep or relax. How do people cope with this? This is a lifelong problem, I know. But I just want to be a normal 19-year-old girl, just care free. I really need advice from someone who's been through this and beat that mother#*/% down!

sorry if my english is bad, I'm from croatia.
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I believe I just responded to this one if you are the young woman from Croatia.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 78 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.