Includes Expert Content
Heart problems/severe flushing after sex
AnonymousBuckeye posted:
I'm a 27 year old male and have developed a condition that not only is hampering my relationship it has me scared for my life.

I know exactly what panic attacks are and know exactly when I'm having them. For the longest time they were completely random, I would freak out and go to the hospital like so many people do. I learned all about them, got perscribed Clonazepam and have kicked the condition to the curb after suffering for 2 years with them. But something new has develped that feel's exactly like my panic attacks but only happens right after sex and lasts for hours on end. Let me explain:

Right after sex I start feeling extremely flushed. Heart is racing as most due after sex, but I become very light headed. Once my heart rate finally goes down about 15 minutes later I'm left feeling like something is sitting on my chest. Then I feel like I'm having an irregular heart beat, it's not fast but I just feel like I'm having palputations. I have nausea in my stomack, sometimes back pains. For hours after sex I can't sleep, I feel so light headed I feel like I'm going to black out but I'm too anxious. My vision feels blurred and my concentration is way down. So similiar to a panic attack but my medication doesn't help this time. Their is so much pressure and discomfort in my chest as well, and all these symptoms last for almost 24 hours.

It's causing severe depression b/c I hate the way this makes me feel. It puts a huge strain on a great relationship, my girlfriend is very sypathetic and takes care of me to help ease my nerves, but I know deep inside it's taking a toll on her too. My sex drive is dropping every day b/c I'm so worried what's going to happen after sex. Now I just don't want to have it anymore and that's really unhealthy and bumming me out.

I've been inbetween jobs so I don't have insurance and can't afford to talk to my doctor at the moment. I'm starting a new job in 3 weeks which will offer me full benefits so I can go back and talk with my doctor. But I'm just curious if anyone can relate to this and tell me what's going on? I can't live the rest of my life like this if this is what sex is going to be like the rest of my life. I feel like I can't even wait 3 weeks to go see a doctor, as I type this I'm having all these symptoms and just feel as if I'm going to die from it ( I know I'm probably fine). Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
This isn't an area of expertise of mine, but I would venture to say that there's something here that may be troubling you. It's being expressed physically and you might benefit from speaking to a psychologist who deals with problems related to sexual matters.

You are fortunate to have such an understanding girl friend.