Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How to discuss my anxiety and panic with my doctor
An_249780 posted:
Hi, tomorrow I go to see the doctor actually about my blood pressure medication but while I'm there I want to discuss with her about going back on my anxiety medication and insomnia medication. I'm not sure how to bring it up without sounding dumb. Since I was in my teens I've had anxiety and insomnia but over the last 10 years it's gotten a lot worse. (I'm 38 now). I was in therapy in 2011 for 8 months and was on anxiety medication for 61/2 months. I moved out of state (which I never would have been able to do without the medication) and had problems getting my medical records forwarded and found it even more difficult to find a doctor who understood. They even took my son off his ADHD and oppositional defiency disorder meds COLD TURKEY to "see how he would do" Long story short it didn't go well he was suspended from school for stabbing a kid in the leg with a pencil. I ended up moving back to my prior town because all though it's a small town there are resources and help. But that's a whole other story. I guess my question is how to do I bring this up. I know once she looks at my records she will see that I've had issues with this. It's gotten so bad that I have called into work 5X and I've only been working there for 3 months. I have a hard time in social situations (I work in retail), sometimes can't even drive to work. I missed my daughters high school graduation because I couldn't do the drive (as a driver or as a passenger) or be around that many ppl. I have a hard time talking on the phone sometimes even. It took me 3 weeks to even get the appt I have tomorrow. I kept calling but would go into panic and hang up. I've been sent home from work because I vomited in the garbage can. They thought I had the flu but truth is I was having a panic attack. I'm even scared to take my 12 year old to get his haircut (which he desperately needs) I think the reason I'm scared to talk to my doctor is because I was on a controversial medication. (xanax) I only took 1mg a day. That's all I needed, sometimes not even that much. But what a life saver. My quality of life was amazing. I drove to Washington and back. I got back into the work force, but ended up being fired because by then I was no longer on the medication and I couldn't handle it. I don't want to lose my current job. It's gotten to the point also that I can't even go to the grocery store or out to eat. (I feel like everyone is watching me and judging me). I just want my piece of mind back. I don't sleep at night. If I get 3-4 hrs a night I'm lucky. I'm just really at my wits end. Any feedback would be appreciated. Sorry this is kinda rambling.

An_249780 responded:
PS. I've tried Cymbalta for two years along with Welbutrin and Paxil for a year. None did any good with my anxiety sometimes seemed to make it worse and the withdrawal symptoms were horrific. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I know you probably had your appointment already and I hope your doc understood that the small amount of med you were taking was sufficient to make your life normal, not turn you into a drug addict. This is one thing that healthcare professionals need to remember; a med can be a lifesaver, not a destroyer, if used in the right amount by a responsible patient.

I hope your doc did agree and that you and your family are on the road to rebuilding a fine life for all of you.

Social anxiety is a tough one but it can be overcome with the right kind of tx., whether it's a med and therapy or lots of self-help and some small amount of the med that helped you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.