Includes Expert Content
Stress and anxiety with chronic pain
crystalgreeneyes posted:
I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I have been on a merry go round trying to find the proper treatment. My options are limited to medications at this time because I can't afford other therapies. These issues are causing me incredible stress and anxiety. My current meds are a low dose sleeping pill and .5 lorazepam at night. I suffer terribly from side effects and to this point have not found anything to alleviate the pain. The loraz. does help to lessen the pain, however, I do find that when I take more than usual, (on occasion) I become very depressed.
The obsessive thinking and the constant fear just about drives me over the edge at times. I am 57, unemployed because of this (I used to have a high paying job) my husband lost his business and had to start over in a low paying position. Our daughter lives with us (22) and she works full time and is very good at that. Otherwise she spends the rest of her time lying in bed and never does a thing in the house to help me. Neither her nor my husband are supportive in any way. My daughter has a boyfriend and she seems happy. I seem to lack the communications skills that are required to help them understand what is going on with me and that I need help. Yes, I have tried and yes I have gone to my dr. What am I doing wrong? All of this contributes to my stress and ultimately my pain. Every antidepressant I have tried has made me feel very, very sick.
Please help. Thank you to all.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I am not an MD, and I cannot offer any advice regarding your treatment options, which seem minimal at most, but I can see that stress appears to be playing quite a major role in your life.

Are you unemployed because you cannot function in a job or is it because of your anxiety? Have you had any other treatment besides the low dose sleeping pill and anxiolytic medication which you are taking? How long have you been in treatment?

I am asking these questions because there is a possibility that because of your age, your current situation and your psychiatric treatment, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits. I have just written a new Kindle e-book on this and you might want to take a look at it. The title is " A Social Security Disability Psychological Claims Handbook" and you will be able to look at the table of contents. The book is on Amazon.com and I would suggest that you might want to review its contents.

As to your family not understanding, this is something that really needs to be worked on in families therapy. Your family may not wish to do this, but it is one of the best ways to try to enable everyone to work together for a happier household.

These are difficult times and I know that both you and your husband have had great recent disappointments and burdens to bear. There may, however, be some help in the form of a Disability claim for you and, possible, family therapy/counseling from a local social service agency. Please explore these options.