Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What is the Linden Method
crystalgreeneyes posted:
I read about that somewhere here. I have generalized anxiety disorder and I sometimes take lorazepam. It seems if I go over a certain amount, I become very depressing, crying endlessly and having horrible thoughts. I feel like I am going insane. I am afraid of so many things - afraid of dying, death itself not so much that I am going to get really sick and die, but more of getting old and being alone and dying all alone, afraid that I will always have chronic pain, that I will never be free, that no one will love me, that I am weird and fractured somehow, that I don't fit in..etc. etc.
I used to be so sociable, I had a life, a good profession and lots of money and now my life is so full of fear. I have tried so many antidepressants and they have all made me so ill. I am very sensitive to drugs and a lot of foods. (I have fibromyalgia and I usually post on that site)
I hide in the shower and cry. I do have some good days but those days that I feel desperately frightened have me feeling unglued.
Please help. I understand what everyone is feeling how you are suffering.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
It's interesting that recently I saw a number of postings by psychiatrists who were discussing GAD and several of them indicated they rarely saw a patient with it. As they viewed it, it wasn't really a very useful diagnosis. Having said that, I realized that it is the diagnosis you have and I'm wondering what treatments other than the lorazepam you have been offered. I'm not talking about antidepressants used to treat anxiety disorders.

What I find most interesting is that you indicated you had been a successful professional, was financially secure and now not only are you fearful of many things but you have fibromyalgia and many food allergies. Your diagnosis, therefore, would seem to be to be a highly complex one because there may be factors related to your allergies and fibromyalgia which are bringing on this anxiety and fear. I don't know how this has been explored by any healthcare professionals, but I would think it is a worthwhile pursuit.

Please consider your options here because I don't think it is straightforward psychological/psychiatric but may be, as I said, a combination of many things. Someone needs to be the responsible party who will serve as your contact person with any other professionals who may do evaluations.

As it is with everyone, your case requires individualized treatment and I don't believe that there is one simple treatment that will serve to help with everything. In fact, you may be taking medications for other things which can precipitate severe anxiety as a side effect and even your allergies may be causing some of this problem.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful to you and that you do find someone who can begin to work with you on this.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

SSRIs, and anti-anxiety
I recommend Fluoxetine to help boost the seratonin in your brain, it keeps the panic away. IF you are panicky tho, nothing helps more than ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.