Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
sleep anxiety
anxious128678 posted:
Prior to waking up i feel the anxiety coming on, sometime i can tell myself whats going on and it subsides, but last night i felt like i egged it on (don't know why i did that), i woke up felling panicky, my lower body (pelvic and buttock area) began to feel real cool. Last time i felt that way i about passed out and had my wife almost call 911. I hope some one else has felt this because i hope it not a medical issue and nothing but a panic attack. Ususally i feel find during the day its just at night. im wondering if it may be sleep apnea.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Of course, the best thing to do if you think there might be a medical problem, is to be checked out by your PCP. Sleep apnea is generally diagnosed by a one or two night stay in a sleep lab. You can find quite a bit of information about sleep apnea online and this might be helpful to you.

One thing we do know is that during the night one particular hormone, cortisol, which is associated with stress and anxiety, builds up and is at its highest in the morning. This may account for some people awakening with feelings of anxiety or panic and even some physical symptoms associated with it.

Please have your Doc check you out so that you can clarify what this might be.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.