Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how long does it take
srball posted:
does anyone know how long the side effects of withdrawl last?

crystalgreeneyes responded:
It can depend on the drug that you have been taking and the length of time you have been taking. Typically if it has only been in your system for a short period, the withdrawal symptoms should be shorter and possibly less severe. However, I would say it's going to take at least 2 weeks. The first week is generally the worst and you are likely to experience some very difficult and frightening experiences in that time. These may include, shaking, restlessness, irritability, insomnia, loss of appetite, vomiting, joint and other pain, headache and high anxiety. You may experience strange dreams and you may even have panic attacks. By the 3rd week your body should be settling down and getting used to being without the drug. I have read about people who have quit cold turkey, drugs they have been taking for long periods and they experience no ill effects. The more slowly you ease off a medication the harsher the withdrawal will be. Some protocols will have you switch to another drug to help you ease off with less effects, for example Valium can be used to wean off sleeping pills. It takes a long time but lessens the nightmare of withdrawal. If you are considering stopping a medication, please get support and try to do it gradually. Going off a drug suddenly after a long period can be dangerous.
Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.