Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety
erikalynn2013 posted:
Hello everyone. I have been dealing with anxiety for about 2 years.
Unfortunately I have not reached out to anyone about it.
I just deal with it and bottle things up. Unfortunately it just keeps getting worse and I dont know how much more I can take. I would like some
advice on what to do. It urks me so bad because it will come upon me
out of no where. I can be out shopping and bam I start having an axiety attack. Its really just a burden anymore. Also when having an anxiety
attack my face cheeks and the side of my face get red and my chest
gets red and blotchy and then when the attac passes it goes away, is that normal? Its like an attack raises my blood pressure. I just need some advice any will help

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
The anxiety which you are describing is something that can come almost out of nowhere because of certain feelings of insecurity or being unsure in social situations. The redness and blotching are fairly normal in people who become quite anxious.

Of course, I always suggest that anyone who is having this type of problem check with their PCP just to be sure there is nothing that needs attention. If everything works out fine, then there are a few things you can try on your own.

For one thing, I would suggest that you watch the relaxation breathing video tutorial we have in our Tips column. Learning to use this type of breathing technique can be extremely helpful and you can use it anywhere you are, any time you feel you might be getting a little anxious. You can forestall feelings of anxiety this way or you can use it just as you get the first twinge of a hint of anxiety. The best thing you want to do is to be sure that you don't allow the anxiety to take hold. This type of breathing can help you do that.

You can also use positive self-talk. Here you become a coach for yourself and you tell yourself, "Calm down, you are going to be okay." You can use any variation of reassurance that you wish. If anyone says anything just tell them you're thinking something over. Little white lies are perfectly acceptable.

I hope you find both of these to be helpful and that things do improve for you very soon.

erikalynn2013 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thanks so much for responding. I hope things get better
myself. When anxiety first started to be a problem for me
it was not this bad. My mother used to deal with anxiety
and she was on the medicine, she then got off the medicine
because she did not like it, and she learned to control it
herself. She has always told me that I would not like the
medication that I should find a way to cope with it when
it arises. I just hate that it happens anytime anywhere.
It makes me not want to go out and enjoy things. When
it happens I cant think of a reason why its happening and
that bothers me. Its very unexplainable.
And yes I do need to go to the doctor not just because
this but to get a check up also. Couldnt tell you when
the last time was I went to the doctor. Heres the thing
with that I hate going to the doctor because when
I go I get nervous and my bp is always high, then
when they ask why its high I tell them I am nervous
and they look at me like im crazy. I guess when you sum
it all up I am just a nervous person and I dont understand
why.

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to erikalynn2013's response:
Anxiety runs in families and "white coat syndrome" is something a lot of people feel when they go to the doctor's, so I'm surprised that the staff didn't recognize this rather normal reaction.

Talk to your mom and ask what she's done to help herself. How did she learn to handle it and what did she do? It might help you, too.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.