Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Am I alone?
lovenj41 posted:
I feel like I am going crazy and people see that I have these panic/anxiety attacks so I barely go out. I am from New Jersey last year I went to a bar & grill in Seaside Heights with my boyfriend and I was ok walking on the board walk but when I got in side the bar to have a beer, I felt so nerves and shaking that I couldn't even pick up my glass to take a sip of beer,I actually put the glass up to my lips and was so nerves that I felt like I was gonna drop it....lol .I really felt like crying because I hate feeling that way..So anyway I never got to drink my beer and ask my boyfriend if we can leave. He said ok ..he didn't know that I was having a panic attack in the bar and I didnt wanna tall him..I really wanted to be by myself in a quiet spot with no one around. Has anyone on this site ever went through this? Or am I a wackO ... thaks for listening ..hope to here a responds!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
This is not unusual and you'll hear many people on this board who have had similar experiences.

Have you sought any help with this? I don't mean to say that you need medication, but some cognitive therapy might help and relaxation breathing. We have a video tutorial on the breathing method in our Tips column. Watch it, use it and use it frequently. See how it can help.

mistyriver28 responded:
I go through this all the time. Sometimes if helps me at work or when i am out to go to the bathroom and into a stall and do deep breathing exercises and a major pep talk to myself. But if not I have to get out of there too.

lovenj41 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thanks for replying back Patricia ...Glad to hear I am not the only one going through this..it can get really frustrating at times...and I say to myself why me! I also started Pre-menapausing..so this is not helping it...lol it stops me from doing a lot of socializing and I have a wedding coming up and I believe it gonna be horrifying to be around so many people in one room....lol but I am gonna get through the wedding maybe have a couple of drinks before I go...lol so I am not so nervious. And no I don't take no medication and don't have insurance to see a doctor. Hopefully soon though...something will come up! thanks again!!

lovenj41 replied to mistyriver28's response:
Hi Mistyriver28...thanks for sharing...yeah it get really out of control for me too. I thought I was going wacko at first because now it seems that I have them more often. I think more when I stress or have things on my mind. But today like it or not I am gonna go for a little walk..since it has warm up a little bit. This life is sure crazy living with this...lol I will try the deep breathing and take deep breaths for now, maybe it will work for me too...thanks again for sharing.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.