Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Some Advice
mistyriver28 posted:
Hello, I had my first full out panic attack a year ago. Now I am fighting fear and anxiety. And also depression and ocd. and Ptsd. I take paxil 40 mg and colopin. It seems that everytime I get myself under control the dr wants to take me off the colopin. I keep trying to tell them that if I take the .05 twice a day I feel way better. I just feel like my dr and the 50 million emergancey room dr just don't get it. I see a therapist and my dr isn't working with him. The dr wants to put me on blood pressure meds now. but I saw somewhere that blood pressure is effected by panic attacks and nerves. I also just switched dr that day it was our first meeting. I hate going to the see the dr. because i don't feel like they get it. Why do they keep trying to change my meds if they are working?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Many physicians adhere to the premise that some medications are basically bad, undesirable and, potentially, addictive. If we begin to look at medications for a number of medical disorders we could probably say the same thing about them. However, there has been a lot of unfavorable press regarding certain medications, such as the one you are taking, Klonopin, and for that reason the majority of physicians feel it shouldn't be used. This is unfortunate because, when used appropriately and not abused, it can be quite effective in calming symptoms.

Psychiatry and psychiatric disorders still fall within the realm of the great unknown and I would suggest that there are many reasons people become anxious. One may be a biological and genetic predisposition and the medication for that might be the one you are taking. In other words, the medication that works best for you probably should be the medication you receive especially since you are not abusing it.

Blood pressure medication is sometimes used to control anxiety because it has the ability to relax muscles which have an effect on the blood supply and can leave a person feeling calmer. It is often used for performance anxiety, but only during the performance and not taken on a regular basis. At least this is my understanding and, I do admit that I am not an M.D.

Each prescriber has their own favorite medications and this can present problems for patients who have been taking medications that have worked for them for years. No, changing doesn't make sense unless there is real danger in taking a medication.

I know this must have been difficult for you and I can understand how unpleasant these appointments could be. But you are a consumer and you are asking for a service and I believe you have a right to have your opinions heard and considered carefully.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.