Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Stress
Greenbooks posted:
I'm having a horrible time coping with stress. I'm hoping that I don't lose it. My go to coping is eating but I know that's bad. I need some new strategies

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Stress is certainly something that can cause you to do things that are unhealthy such as overeating. Stress-related obesity is a common problem, but there are things that you can do to help cope with the stress in your life. In fact, I wrote a short e-book on work stress which is available on Amazon.

Of course, one of the things that you need to do is to consider the source of the stress. Once you've done that, then you begin to look at alternatives to managing the stress. In other words, can you reduce it in some way or can you view it in a different manner? Stress is a part of life and we do need to learn how to manage it as best we can. Sometimes it's related to work, sometimes it's related to family problems and sometimes it's economic factors. But for each of these there is a solution and it is up to you to sit down with a piece of paper and mark off the areas of stress and write what you can do to reduce it.

I would also recommend that you discuss with your physician mild to moderate exercise because we know that this is a great stress reduction technique and it doesn't need to be any more involved than walking up and down stairs, going for a walk outside your home or even in the office or you can do some exercises while sitting in a chair. We also have a number of these in video form on my website's Video page.

I would also suggest that you begin to use relaxation breathing and there is a video tutorial which I have made in our Tips column. Watch the video, begin to do the technique whenever you are feeling a bit stressed or you're beginning to reach for more food than you know you should. It can really help.

I hope you find this used that things do improve for you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.