Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. F: Anxiety sooo bad--nausea>intrusive thoughts come and this gets worse
Anon_963 posted:
My therapist knows about this--said that 'everyone' has these and just 'passes them off' but someone who is 'obsessive--me--' dwell on them and they become a problem. She said when you finally talk about them, that can bring many people great relief. So I did--with her.

Felt better for awhile, but since I can't take anti-depressants, only Xanax, when they come off and on, the anxiety is really bad!

Can't share this with anyone but therapist--she even advised against that, and having met my husband--and likes him, she understands that he has no desire to know things like this, that's his nature- and so--I talk to her. He definitely would 'not' understand where this is coming from..Nor do I!
She thinks from some things in my youth which I've shared are part of it. She's very encouraging. So why does this keep popping up and causing me such distress?

I have had them all my life--just didn't realize it, and they have come and gone and at times troubled me, but I knew they had 'no basis in fact' and were just that---intrusive thoughts. She assured me I am 'not unusual' and she's heard this before. So, I go awhile doing pretty well, then something triggers them and for days I'm anxious--you can't keep thoughts away--the harder you try, the more they are 'there'.

Then the anxiety is worse--the nausea--etc. I just needed to 'vent' since today is bad. Already exercised. So very nauseated and discouraged. Don't see her for another 3 weeks.
How do you deal with folks with 'intrusive thoughts' that are disturbing? I hope there's a cure. I thought talking about them was--but right now, it's not.
Do others here have this problem and if so, how do you deal with it?
Thanks

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You don't see your therapist for another three weeks? That sounds very unusual. Is this person a psychiatrist? Since your situation appears to be something that really is disturbing to your entire life, I'm wondering why your therapist isn't seeing you weekly or, at the very least, every other week.

There are many reasons why intrusive thoughts might be coming to mind and I think your therapist really should be discussing this with you as well as providing ways for you to deal in a more self-directed manner. Please also ask about this when you have your next session.

Has your therapist discussed a technique called "thought stopping?" This is something that can be useful and what you do is each time one of these intrusive thoughts comes to mind, you literally tell yourself, "Stop it!" You can do this several times and then divert your attention to something more positive. It may take a little time, but you can begin to gain more control over this.

I hope that you and your therapist can come to some more effective treatment plan that will help you. I know how difficult this must be, especially with the nausea and the feeling of discouragement that you are experiencing.

Anon_963 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I was seeing her weekly, until the day I finally opened up about the intrusive thoughts. We talked and she was so understanding, told me what you did--not in the exact words--but that most folks have them, but 'dismiss' them but folks who are 'obsessive' keep having them and have to learn how to 'let them go', in ways such as you have suggested.

She assured me I'm not 'abnormal', just obsessive--and that talking to her hopefully will ease them. As I said, it did for awhile, so we cut back on the visits. I'm going to try the method you mentioned.
Also am trying the 'funny image' method--trying to place that on them. I also have 'bad dreams' and they come back to 'bring the thoughts' back again. I do think they are caused by the meds--but I need the meds for the anxiety--just can't take anti-dep. meds! Yes, it's difficult for sure
. I read where many folks have this--and it's good to know you're not the only one, but it doesn't take the anxiety away when it happens.
The thoughts have 'nothing to do with me' at all--or how I think or feel--in fact they make me 'sick' when they occur. I think most intrusive thoughts do that and that's why they are called 'intrusive'. I'll continue to 'work on it' and keep you posted. Thanks again.

turtle_racer replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wanted to mention I have similar issues. When my mind runs through what-if scenarios, I find my self actually saying "stop it", sometimes out loud. I didn't even know that was a therapeutic technique.

Anon_963 replied to turtle_racer's response:
Thanks for your comments---I've done the same thing but usually just said 'stop'! It wasn't working but now I'm saying 'Stop it'!
Hope that works better. I use mental imagery too--funny face of a cartoon. Sometimes they go away for awhile but then when under anxiety--which lately is daily, I seem to have to 'fight' them more often. Health issues and now medication and anxiety altogether make them come more often--and bad dreams add to them. Of course the meds make the bad dreams come more often. I tell you--it can be very distressing! Take care

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.