Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Stress induced aggressive allergy reaction / anaphylactic shock
brusselair posted:

I am subject to anaphylactic shocks since 4 years now. I discovered first that it was due to some medecines and products allergy. Some of theses shocks were as terrible that I was hospitalized for 2 days.
Of course, I need to be carefull and living a normal life without being paranoaic.
Recently, my professional life has changed...taken to another level with new responsabilities and committments. It was not all benefic for me because of all the stress induced. Yesterday, I had a severe anaphylactic shock without any material reason. Do I have to make a new allergy test ? Or is it the stress and anxiety...
Thank you for your response.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I am not an MD, and I can't advise you regarding what the source of this might be and it would be best for you to check with your PCP about this.

Of course, since you had such a bad experience and did have anaphylactic shock with hospitalization, right now you are probably experiencing the residual anxiety that can come from two things; fearing that you will have another anaphylactic experience or that stress will bring something on which appears to be an anaphylactic experience. Once you've had a pretty bad shock like this, increased stress and anxiety may lead to anxiety "attacks" that can look like anaphylaxis. So, you really need to run this by your doctor and see what the source might be.

Since you indicated that you have had a change in your job responsibilities and this has included greater stress, I would think there is a component of stress that needs to be handled now.

Two of the best things that we know are helpful in reducing stress are relaxation breathing and mild, regular exercise. We do have a video tutorial on relaxation breathing in our Tips column and on my website on the Videos page I do have some simple exercises. Some of these exercises can be done in your kitchen while taking care of meal preparation or even sitting in your office chair. See which ones might be most helpful to you. The relaxation breathing, of course, can be done throughout the day to help you maintain the calm that you wish.

I hope this is helpful to you and that things turn out very well.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.