Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anti-Depressants and Ability to Learn
JayMurray posted:
I have recently returned to school and I have noticed that I am having a severe problem in solving mathematics and retaining new information. These are both things that I have never had difficulty with before. I am currently prescribed Tegretol and Doxepin and was wondering if these medications may be having an effect on my learning ability. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Since I am not an M.D., I would suggest that you discuss this with whoever is prescribing these medications for you. Tegretol is generally used for a seizure disorder and doxepin is usually used to treat depression and anxiety. However a quick search on the Internet reveals that in persons with seizure disorder doxepin may prove problematic. Again, this should be discussed with your prescriber.

Please tell your prescriber how you are having difficulties presently with your math and retaining new information.

I'm sorry that I cannot provide more information to you because I know this is a concern of your's and I do hope that your prescriber can help work this out in a positive manner.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.