Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety caused by Meds or Treatment?
kcypresslady12 posted:
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had Anxiety caused by Medication or treatment they were taking? I had to change the time and method that I take 1 of my medications and it caused more of the medication to be absorbed at a higher rate and causing anxiety that was almost uncontrollable. Feeling better today, thank goodness.

But another concern in my general anxiety towards the treatment and towards work situations in general.

How do I stop anxiety symptoms from becoming full blown attacks when deep breathing, walking, etc? Any tips would be very welcome as I refuse to go the Anxiety Med route.

Thank you!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Yes, some medications can cause increased anxiety and, in fact, the anxiety that they cause may be even more potent than the anxiety you sought relief from in the first place.

Not only do some psychotropic medications cause anxiety, but there are other medications that are taken for medical problems that can also cause increased anxiety as can deficiencies in diet. Although I am not an MD, I do know that some medications need to be taken in the morning rather than at night because this can cause insomnia, if taken at night. On the other hand, they can also cause daytime drowsiness when taken in the morning. It's something that only your body will determine.

Definitely mild, regular exercise and deep breathing are two things you can do that will help. There is a great deal of research that has been published in the last five years which indicates how useful exercise can be. We do have a relaxation breathing video in our Tips column and I would suggest that you watch it and begin to use that technique every day, possibly several times a day. Use it whenever you feel a bit anxious because what you want to do is cut the anxiety off before it takes hold.

I hope you find this helpful and that you do feel much better very soon.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

keep calm
taking it one day at a time helps me with my anxiety. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.