Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety and depression
Cjmerrell90 posted:
Omg it makes me feel a TON better to see that I'm really not the only one going through all this. I feel the same way as everyone else! I have had anxiety problems since I was about 8. I am now 22. It has definitely been a struggle. Has made me want to end my life numerous times. I started taking Paxil yesterday and has made the attacks more intense and uncontrollable. Is this normal?

Take the Poll

Does anyone else have thoughts of harming others?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
The medication which you have just been given is in a class of medications that does cause, for many people, increased anxiety and other side effects when you first begin taking it. Remember one thing; not every medication is meant for everyone.

Since you indicated that you have been experiencing anxiety since the age of eight, I'm wondering if any other way had been discussed for treating your anxiety. I'm thinking specifically of both lifestyle changes and, possibly, cognitive behavioral therapy. I would also think that some mild exercise might be helpful and, as I always do, I recommend that you watch the relaxation breathing video in our Tips column. This technique can be very helpful.

I'm glad that you found this board helpful and I'm sure that other members here will offer suggestions regarding what they did to help themselves.

SicSemper replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Yeah can t keep my bi-polar in check.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.