Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
another similar story, I'm sure
fytje posted:
Reading so many other postings, I feel encouraged and discouraged at the same time. Have been taking antidepressants for 20 years, and Effexor for 16 of those years. Adverse effects were getting pretty bad that I knew I had to get off Effexor. Have weaned myself off over the last 2.5 months, with the last mg taken 10 days ago. Don't wish this whole withdrawal process upon anyone. The body aches I can handle, the brain zaps too, even the cold/hot thermostat issues, but now I've moved on to the acute anxiety part. This I don't do well with, as it brings back too many memories of anxiety/panic attacks. Does anyone have experience as to how long this could take? Will it improve each day? Any encouragement is greatly appreciated!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
As with any medication withdrawal, for each person they are body will determine how long it will take or how short it might be until the withdrawal is over. Some medications are stored by the body in bone and body fat and gradually allow it to be released.

Whoever was prescribing this medication for you should be able to offer some advice regarding what would be the best way to handle the particular type of withdrawal syndrome you are having now. There might be some short acting medication which you could take for a brief period of time and which might help, but your PCP has to be the one to discuss this with you.

I hope things do improve for you very soon and that some of the advice provided by other people posting on this board proves helpful as well.

SicSemper replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Well I can t keep track of my meds.

SicSemper replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
ok, I take 250mg of Zoloft 7mg of Zronpin 100mg of seroquel and ritlin/54mg of Concerta.

SicSemper replied to SicSemper's response:
Unable to organize my thoughts which bring the mood swings & ppanic.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.