Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Includes Expert Content
    Silexan Lavender and an 1 1 year old.
    OFF10H8ED posted:
    I have anxiety attacks. I have xannax and take them as needed. From what our doctor can figure, I have managed to pass them onto my 11 year old daughter. I want to stay all natural with her. We have tired the Rescue Ramedy. It did not work for her. Her doctor recommended Valeria but the woman at the health food store said that would put her to sleep and be counterproductive for school. She suggested Calm Aid which is silexan lavender, for her. The box says not to use it on children. Valeria says the same thing and her doctor had suggested that. Is this safe for her to take?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
    The main problem here when anyone recommends a non-prescription product is that there is almost nothing that provides adequate guidelines or protection regarding these products. The FDA does not, as far as I know, supervised the production of these products in any way. It only comes to their attention when someone has noted that there is an ingredient that can be harmful or cause problems with medications. Then, the FDA may issue an advisory to healthcare providers and/or the general public.

I would be extremely careful about giving anything to a child which could cause problems. I believe that rather than giving your child a product, it might be best to allow her to have an opportunity with a mental health professional who deals with children in something like play therapy. This can be very helpful and, certainly, has less potential in the way of concern as there would be with a product the child would ingest.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

hangover anxiety
    I have been having the exact same problem. I used to get a mild anxiety each time I had a hangover but it was always something I could deal ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.