Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Silexan Lavender and an 1 1 year old.
OFF10H8ED posted:
I have anxiety attacks. I have xannax and take them as needed. From what our doctor can figure, I have managed to pass them onto my 11 year old daughter. I want to stay all natural with her. We have tired the Rescue Ramedy. It did not work for her. Her doctor recommended Valeria but the woman at the health food store said that would put her to sleep and be counterproductive for school. She suggested Calm Aid which is silexan lavender, for her. The box says not to use it on children. Valeria says the same thing and her doctor had suggested that. Is this safe for her to take?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
The main problem here when anyone recommends a non-prescription product is that there is almost nothing that provides adequate guidelines or protection regarding these products. The FDA does not, as far as I know, supervised the production of these products in any way. It only comes to their attention when someone has noted that there is an ingredient that can be harmful or cause problems with medications. Then, the FDA may issue an advisory to healthcare providers and/or the general public.

I would be extremely careful about giving anything to a child which could cause problems. I believe that rather than giving your child a product, it might be best to allow her to have an opportunity with a mental health professional who deals with children in something like play therapy. This can be very helpful and, certainly, has less potential in the way of concern as there would be with a product the child would ingest.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.