Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Please help
An_250422 posted:
I have severe anxiety disorder so bad and panic disorder from serious injury, etc.

I have taken orders from the E.R. to get off blood pressure meds and klonopin three times a day because of severe panic and severe anxiety disorder physically and generally, and they said to not use blood pressure medicine and to use two mg of xanax after stabilizing me.

However,
My primary doctor abandoned me after not following my condition with me, and now a psychiatrist is wanting me to use two mg of klonopin again four times per day in four increments with blood pressure medicine, because she thinks that is good but did not think it was panic and phsyical and general, but said "I am telling you you have "severe anxiety disorder, " after I knew but wanted help.

I don't think this is safe, is this safe? What could I do, and could any doctors help me please because this is serious?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I am not an MD and I can't advise you regarding what type of medication you should be taking or how much. But your description of the current regimen leads me to believe that you may wish to have a second opinion on this. Also, medication alone would not be a total treatment plan since research has shown that both cognitive therapy and medication, when needed, has proven the better choice.

Treatment recommendations may vary from healthcare professional to healthcare professional and it is best to remember that many people believe you should use the least medication possible to receive a benefit. That's why in medicine physicians are taught to "start low, go slow." When the medication reaches a point where the symptoms are addressed adequately that's where the dosage remains, usually.

I suspect that you were given blood pressure medication as an additional means of handling your anxiety, not that you have a blood pressure problem. Please consider having a second opinion.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.