Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How to be with someone who has anxiety issues
ThomasJ197438 posted:
Hello I am and have been dating someone who has some anxiety issues. The problem is that with the type of job I have, I have trouble being sensitive to her issues when dealing with it. I try to understand it because i also use to have a problem with it when I was young I am 38 know and have over come it. I just do not see why she cant. she stresses about the smallest things that I see as no big deal.

Gilpinben123 responded:
You have to understand that she is going through a very stressful time in her mind trying to figure stuff out, find herself and trying to get rid of these fears. You have over come a lot you say, so reach out and help her, the more people that help her will stop that snow ball effect that is so easy to build up and get worse.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
As you well know, anxiety can be very difficult to control, especially if it's the type that is involved with much of anyone's life. Since you say that she is upset by the smallest things, it appears that she might benefit from either some self-help techniques and some positive self-talk or relaxation breathing. We do have a relaxation breathing video tutorial in our Tips column and there is also a self-talk video that she can watch. I think both of these might be helpful.

Jondo replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Hello please someone help me i have every day panic attacks i cannot breath have high blood pressure tachycardia ,and i have fear that i m gonna die ,when i m drinking alcohol i feel better but the other day is getting worse i do not know what to do!!!

lovenj41 replied to Jondo's response:
Hi Jondo, I also have everyday panic/axiety attacks, What I do I some how learn how to deal with it lately, Like find something to do to keep my mind off it..Like cleaning or just getting up to find something to do, wash your face with cold water, whatever it takes try that it might help and don't be scared it will go away sooner or later..But if you have insurance you should get some help with this. As for the drinking alcohol I also drink when I feel a panic attack coming on but this is not good for us either especially for you because you have high blood pressure and the next day when we wake up with a hang-over it seems even worse so I try no to drink so much...lol so try to see a doctor. Hope everything works out keep me informed

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

SSRIs, and anti-anxiety
I recommend Fluoxetine to help boost the seratonin in your brain, it keeps the panic away. IF you are panicky tho, nothing helps more than ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.