Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
panic attacks
An_250488 posted:
my grandson is 20 and has been having panic attacks where he dosent want to leave the house and also has asthma and is very overweight. what kind of doctor should he see, and how can I help him or is ther any home remedys. he plays alot of games on computer games, this only started awhile ago when he moved out of his moms home into an apt with his sister. how can I help him? I told him to cut down on pop and pizza but he is an adult please help. joanne
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
While I can understand your concern for your grandson, as you said, he is 20 years old, living away from home now and needs to be responsible for himself. Your description of him, however, leads me to think that he needs a thorough medical exam not only for his asthma, but his weight. I'm not an MD, but I have read material that indicates that asthma and weight may be related with the weight adding to the asthma problem.

Your description of him also leads me to think that there are a number of other issues which need to be addressed and I believe he would benefit from some cognitive therapy. Anyone who is overweight, spends most of their time in the home, and constantly plays video games may have anxiety problems. He may not want to admit this and he may not want to go for therapy, but I would think this would be the most helpful thing for him to do.

I don't think it's just a matter of drinking soda and eating pizza.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.